Not all Hong Kong dishes are non-halal. How come there are some Hong Kong dishes that are halal because they are not mixed with non-halal food ingredients such as lard, pork or other ingredients. Here we will share recipes for halal Hong Kong dishes for you.
There are many recipes that you can try to make. What are the recipes? Check the following information!
The Most Famous Halal Hong Kong Recipes
1. Bo Lo Bao Recipe
One of the most famous Hong Kong recipes is Bo Lo Bao and is included in the halal recipe.
Bo Lo Bao itself is a typical Hong Kong recipe in the form of round bread with a crunchy and soft texture. Usually this food is served with a cup of tea or coffee and enjoyed as a friend to relax.
Bo Lo Bao itself is often referred to as pineapple bun or pineapple bun. But even so, there is no element of pineapple in this bread. How to make it like what?
Bo Lo Bao ingredients
Prepare the tangzhong ingredients consisting of:
- Protein flour (high) 25 grams
- Water 125 grams
The ingredients for the bread dough that must be prepared consist of:
- High protein flour 360 grams
- Sugar 70 grams
- Salt ½ teaspoon
- Instant yeast 7 grams
- Liquid milk 120 grams
- 1 egg, shake off
- Tangzhong 120 grams
- Unsalted butter 30 grams
Topping ingredients that must be prepared:
- Low protein flour 125 grams
- Caster sugar 90 grams
- Butter 50 grams
- Powdered milk 15 grams
- Yolk 1 fruit
- Liquid milk 1 tablespoon
- Baking soda ¼ teaspoon
- Baking powder ¼ teaspoon
How to make Bo Lo Bao
After all the ingredients are prepared, how to make Bo Lo Bao is as follows:
- Mix the tangzhong ingredients that have been prepared then cook until thickened. Transfer it to a container and wait a minute until it cools down.
- Make the bread by putting all the ingredients for the bread dough into the mixer. Beat at medium speed for about 2 minutes until the mixture is evenly mixed.
- Add unsalted butter to the dough. Stir with the other ingredients then change the speed to high speed and stir for about 8 minutes until the dough is smooth.
- Make sure that the texture of the dough is really elastic. Form into a circle and place in a container. Cover with a cloth or plastic. Let the dough rest for about 45 minutes until it doubles in size.
- Then cut into 12 equal parts. Round shape then let stand for 60 to 90 minutes.
- Lastly, make the topping by preparing the eggs that have been beaten loose. Add all other ingredients. Stir using a spatula until evenly distributed and make sure that there are no lumps of dough.
- Leave the dough for about 15 minutes. Cut into 12 equal portions. Flatten each dough, then set aside.
- When the bread dough has risen, place the previously flattened topping on top of the dough. After that, brush the top surface with egg yolk.
- Preheat the oven. Put the dough in the oven. Bake at 190 degrees Celsius for about 15 minutes. If it is confirmed cooked, remove from the oven and then serve.
Want to try other delicious and filling cake recipes? Read : 3 Delicious Sandwich Recipes Suitable For Breakfast and Lunch
2. Hong Kong wonton noodle soup recipe
If you are a noodle lover, you must try this Hong Kong recipe, namely wonton noodles or wonton noodles typical of Hong Kong. Wonton noodle soup is usually served with a variety of toppings such as bean sprouts, meat, shrimp dumplings, pieces of celery, and green onions.
Besides being delicious, this dish also offers a warm sensation on the body and is perfect to be enjoyed when the weather is cold or enjoyed at night.
Although some people make a version with lard, here we will make the halal version of Wonton Noodle Soup. What materials are needed?
Hong Kong wonton noodle soup ingredients
- Egg noodles 400 grams
- Choy sum ½ bunch (washed and cut into 2 inches)
- Vegetable oil
- 300 grams of chicken meat (look for the juicy one) thinly sliced
- Ground white pepper
- Pickled chili (prepare 1 day before)
- 5-6 green chilies
Ingredients for wontons/ wontons:
- Square dumplings about 40 sheets
- 150 grams of chicken meat (look for the juicy one)
- 150 grams of peeled prawns and remove the veins
- Egg white 1 tbsp
- Grated ginger 1 tsp
- Soy sauce 2 tsp
- Oyster sauce ½ tbsp
- Chicken stock powder ½ tsp
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
- Salt ¼ tsp
- Sugar ½ tsp
- White pepper powder 1/8 tsp
Garlic Oil Ingredients:
- Minced garlic 4 cloves
- Vegetable oil 3 tbsp
Mushroom Sauce Ingredients:
- Dried Chinese black mushrooms (stems removed) 6 pieces (if you don’t have any, you can just look for ordinary mushrooms
- Warm water 1 cup / cup
- 2 cloves garlic (pound lightly with the back of a knife)
- Water 1 ½ cups
- Chicken stock powder 1 tsp
- Oyster sauce 1 ½ tbsp
- Soy sauce 2 tsp
- Soy sauce mold 1 tsp (optional)
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- Cornstarch ½ tbsp (dissolved in 2 tbsp water)
Seasoning sauce ingredients for each serving of noodles:
- 1 tbsp thick soy sauce
- Sweet soy sauce ½ tbsp
- Sesame oil 1 tsp
- Salt 1/8 tsp
- Sugar ½ tsp
- Garlic oil 2 tsp
How to make Hong Kong Wonton Noodle Soup
First prepare dumplings / wontons by:
- Mix all the ingredients for the wontons/wontons and stir until evenly distributed (except for the chicken). Place a teaspoon of the chicken meat mixture in each wonton/wonton packet. Moisten the edges of the wrapper using water. Close each end and form a triangle.
- Lower both corners. Pinch to form Chinese ingots. Repeat the same steps until you have used all of the chicken mixture. Set aside on a plate until ready to cook.
Prepare garlic oil by:
- Heat the oil in a pan and then fry the garlic over low to medium heat until it turns a slightly golden color then transfer to a heatproof bowl and set aside.
Prepare the mushroom sauce by:
- Soak the mushrooms using 1 glass of warm water until softened
- Squeeze out excess mushroom water, set mushrooms aside but reserve mushroom water. Cut the mushrooms into pieces.
- Heat ½ tablespoon of vegetable oil in a small saucepan. Sauté the garlic and mushrooms for about 1 minute. Add remaining ingredients (except cornstarch mixture). Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.
- Before removing, add the cornstarch mixture so that it thickens slightly. Taste the taste, if something is missing, you can add it. When it boils remove and cool.
Prepare vegetables by:
- Prepare a large pot and boil water there. Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil and a pinch of salt and sugar. Boil the choy sum stalks followed by the leaves. Remove, drain and then set aside.
Cook the dumplings and noodles in the following way:
- Boil water in a saucepan and cook dumplings for about 1 – 2 minutes until cooked. Stir occasionally so it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan. Drain and set aside. Alternatively, add chicken stock and garnish with scallions.
- Cook the noodles by preparing a serving bowl and placing 1 portion of the seasoning sauce. Cook 1 bundle of noodles until cooked. Drain the noodles and run them under the tap for 5 seconds then dip them back into the boiling water to warm them up.
- Transfer the noodles into a serving bowl. Add 6 tbsp mushroom sauce and stir. Add a pinch of pepper then garnish with the wontons, sliced chicken and pickles. Serve. Can be served with an additional bowl of soup.
For noodle lovers, read: Solo Chicken Noodle Recipe, Ingredients and How to Make Here!
This is the information that we can share this time regarding halal Hong Kong recipes that you can try. Have fun creating at home!